Sep 4 2008

Movies Filmed in Georgia

by Amanda L

A couple of years ago, I became intrigued by movies filmed in Georgia. Having lived in Georgia most of my life, I like to watch these movies and try to figure out where they were filmed. Many times, you can look up a movie title in the Internet Movie Database and it will give you an option to see where a movie was filmed.

Several movies have been filmed in and around DeKalb County. If you have watched Remember the Titans, you might recognize the stairwell where Coach Boone and Coach Youst confront each other. It can be found on the campus of the Druid Hills high school. The practice field shots were filmed at Shamrock middle school. Sharkey’s Machine was filmed in part at the old Columbia Mall before it became the Avondale Mall, and which today is a Wal-Mart.

A Man Named Peter was one of the first movies filmed in Georgia. It was released in 1955. It was not until Deliverance that Georgia began to be thought of as a place to film movies and later television shows. One of my favorite movies is My Cousin Vinny. It was filmed mainly in Covington, Georgia and surrounding counties. It won an Oscar for Marisa Tomei as Best Supporting Actress. It was also during the filming, that Joe Pesci received his Oscar for GoodFellas. Additional movies that have been filmed in Georgia are  We are Marshall and The Gospel.

Tyler Perry has filmed all of his films around Atlanta. His newest movie The Family that Preys was filmed in Atlanta and Covington. While you wait for the newest movie filmed in Georgia to be released in the theaters, you might enjoy one of thirty movies that we own at DCPL that were filmed in Georgia. You can check out a partial list of movies filmed in Georgia here or feel free to stop by the Decatur Reference Desk for the list I have compiled through the years.

Jonathan Harwell September 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Thought I’d point out that the “Virginia” football camp scenes from “Remember the Titans” are at Berry College.

Also, the mansion in “Sweet Home Alabama” is Martha Berry’s sweet home, Oak Hill, also at Berry College.

Cheers!

Nolan September 5, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Hey Jonathan! Thanks for the comment.

I remember I signed up to be an extra in a crowd scene of “Remember the Titans,” but came down with the flu the day before filming…so I still haven’t seen it.

Sara September 11, 2008 at 2:29 PM

And Agnes Scott welcomed Tom Green for the filming of “Road Trip” in 2000!

Heather S September 14, 2008 at 2:07 PM

“Van Wilder 3″ was being filmed at Agnes Scott in August. And, parts of the TV series, “October Road” were filmed there too. Now if only one of the actors would come into the Decatur Library!

Nolan September 16, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Jared Leto came into Decatur Reference a couple of years ago to research Mark David Chapman for his role in “Chapter 27.” They weren’t filming here, however…I think his band was in town that week. Of course I was off and missed it!

Robert James November 20, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Hello im from the UK visiting georgia, I would like to know why is Georgia or the Southern States more often used for horror films (Deliverance, 2001 maniacs,Texas, Chainsaw Masacre)and probably more.(wrong turn) does this factor tries to insult people from the southern states because of the history of the USA. I have found that most people are genuinly nice and polite in the south. I know that filmmaking in the horror genre is the norm why isnt there more different types of films made in the south like remember the titans and also brother where art thou. would be nice to see a different type of genre made about the south without being biased

anne January 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM

actually, “Remember The Titans” used Sprayberry High School in Marietta/East Cobb for the football scenes. I remember driving by that summer and seeing the filming crews.

newly February 1, 2009 at 12:54 PM

This past week’s greene county georgia newspaper (hearld?…not on internet) had notice concerning extras wanted for movie to be filmed in crawfordville, georgia, that will star robert duvall and sissy spacechick. anyone have any info about this?…can’t find anything, and haven’t actually seen it in paper.

admin February 2, 2009 at 4:33 PM

From the Georgia Entertainment Industry FAQ page (http://www.georgia.org/EntertainmentIndustry/FilmAndTV/FAQs.htm): How do I find out what productions are currently shooting in Georgia?

The Georgia Film, Music & Digital Entertainment Office operates a 24-hour Hotline with up-to date information, including any calls for extras, cast and crew. The Hotline number is 404- 962-4055. You can also find this information online by visiting the Hotline page.

And, it looks like the movie is called “Get Low”!

newly February 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM

thanks for the info, admin. I’ll check it out further.

MIKE MYERS February 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM

H2: HALLOWEEN 2(ROB ZOMBIE VERSION) WILL BEGIN SHOOTING IN COVINGTON, GA ON FEB.26

Melissa February 27, 2009 at 2:06 AM

HZ has began filming in Covington and i have to say that this is totally awesome!! Traffic has become a nightmare and its so neat seeing all the big lights and equipment around the sqaure here. I so wish i could be a extra in this movie. this is probably going to be one of the biggest movies ever filmed in Covington, other than the tv series dukes of hazzards or in the heat of the night which were both tv series.

Amanda L March 7, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Another update on HZ from the Black Bunny blog… parts of the film were filmed here in DeKalb at the Dunwoody Medical Center. The interior shots will be used as the Haddonfield Hospital.

frankie March 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Greased lightning with the late Richard Pryor was also filmed here at a couple of our local dirt tracks.

Todd March 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Robert James-
horror or other movies are filmed in georgia because it offers incentives that make it much more economical to film versus in Cali.

H2 is not finished with Decatur yet- they recently filmed at the gas station Downtown and are filming at a old bank on the square next week.

Brandon Simak March 16, 2009 at 7:58 PM

There’s a movie being filmed on highway 20 in Hampton Georgia.

There’s a rundown looking school bus and a wreck involving a flipped semi truck.

Any idea what movie this is?

Nolan R March 17, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Here’s more info on the Rob Zombie film…check the 3/17 post.

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Took a picture of the bus on highway 20 near hampton.

Some guy said it was Zombieland?

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM

The film in Hampton, GA is the new Woody Harrelson horror film.

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I know that a remake of the crazies is being filmed right now in several locations in Georgia.

Dennis April 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I was in Rememeber The Titans as a Policeman and a stand in and I can be seen in the final cut a couple of scenes. I was on set five nights and two days. Mostly at Sprayberry High Field and some back street near the Atlanta Zoo was used for the opening riot crowd scene. I also was in a Tv movie filmed called Price of a Brokenheart shot inside the historic Georgia Terrace Hotel and Cannonball Run was shot at the former Old English Inn hotel off 285. I actually had a scene with the great Sidney Poitier on a TV movie called Noah Dearborn shot near my home in Cartersville on a farm and I still can’t get an agent!

Frank August 18, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Another movie to add to your list: “Lynch Mob.”

It’s a horror film w/a mafia twist, and it was shot in Rome, Marietta, Lawrenceville, Alpharetta, Douglasville and all over Atlanta.

We’re super proud that it’s going to premiere Sept. 18th… at Carmike Cinemas all over the South! Please check out the 90-second trailer at http://www.lynchmobmovie.com.

Rowan Smith August 25, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I was an extra in Lynch Mob, so I got to see the finished film a few months ago and it was surprisingly good for a local, low-budget film – you’ll recognize a lot of ATL/GA locations.

Kalynn B October 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM

One to add to your list is The Last Song. This was filmed in Savannah, Georgia. One of the main characters happens to be teen sensation, Miley Cyrus.

RichT May 17, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Didn’t see it listed, but Fried Green Tomatoes was filmed at least in part at Stone Mountain Park around 1991. I think the rest of it was filmed in Ga as well.

Tom K March 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Smokey and the Bandit from the late 70s was filmed in and around Forest Park. You can see the Old Hickory House restaurant in the scene where Burt Reynolds speaks to the Jackie Gleason the sheriff, and there is a Nalley Chevy vehicle out front. The restaurant has since been torn down. I took a friend in there who idolized Burt Reynolds, it was like he was on hallowed ground, funny to see. There was a really bad, direct to video movie called Grizzly filmed in Clayton, GA. A former girlfriend of mine had a role as an extra, otherwise I wouldn’t have known about it. A Simple Twist of Fate, was filmed in Buford, GA. A friend of mine provided the AMC Gremlin used at the beginning – rented it to them for $500 per day!

Beau Alexander March 30, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I worked on set as one of the policeman in Rob Zombies H2 film. The scene I was in was filmed at a residence field in the city of Newborn (Covington) Ga (Newton Co.).

Rebecca C June 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Fried Green Tomatos was filmed in Juliette, Ga and My Cousin Vinny was filmed largely in Monticello, not Covington. Or at least NOT mostly in Covington.

chad July 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM

My Cousin Vinny was filmed all over middle ga. The breakfast scene about grits was filmed on 441 between madison and eatonton at a run down hotel with a diner out front. Freejack and the latest Bill Murray movie was filmed in paulding county. I was the lead guitar player at Cowboy’s when they filmed Footloose the rest was shot in Acworth. Jennifer Anniston’s last film was just shot here.Wanderlust I think.

bryan September 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM

i was a movie extra in the movie starring chuck norris,called invasion usa early 80s filmed at avondale mall previously known as columbia mall

Henry January 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

The Battlefield scenes of Sweet Home Alabama were filmed at the Georgia Horse Park @ Conyers, during the “Battle of Atlanta” reenactment in Nov. of (2000 if memory serves me correct).

Tobe July 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Most of Fried Green Tomatoes was shot in Juliette Ga but some was shot in surrounding areas. The cafe is still in operation and the buildings used in the film are now gift shops. There are cabins where you can stay the night at the river but their run down and filled with a pretty rough crowd. The cafe food is delicious and the pecan cobbler is awesome. A must stop for any fannie flagg fan but don’t forget if your driving through alabama on your way there or home that in iron dale there is the “irondale cafe” where the story was based on and their food is awesome and inexpensive. In Covington Ga they shot the first 5 eps of Dukes of Hazzard, they shot the heat of the night, Vampire Diaries and scenes from my cousin vinny, remember the titans, sweet home alabama and friday the 13th.