Feb 8 2010

The Other List

by Patricia D

I’ve reached the point in my life where I just can’t sit through dramas, thrillers or a movie with a message.  I have a  Movies I Will Always Be Glad I Saw list.  It contains titles like The Great Escape.  Amazing film because for one thing, the cast is cool.  It also puts Chicken Run into context and raises it from just a crazy claymation piece to something hilarious—watching a chicken do her best Cooler King impression, well, that’s worth quite a bit.  However, that last scene, in the field?  Did me in and broke my heart.  I’ll never watch Amadeus again—brilliant but also heartbreaking, which is the same reason I’ll never again sit through RanThelma and Louise, The Seven Samurai or  Sophie’s Choice.

Naturally, there are movies I will always watch, no matter when they are on or where I am—Star Wars, because c’mon, Han Solo in the cantina?  You better believe it.  The Incredible Mr. Limpet, The Great Race, When Harry Met Sally, Wilby Wonderful, Rush Hour, Strictly Ballroom—all on the Pleasant Ways to Fritter Away Time list.

Now, for the Other List.  I’m going to share this without shame or fear of condemnation because I believe everyone has a list like this.  It’s the Stupid Movies I’m Almost Ashamed to Admit I Watch list.  On a really tough day at the office I need some Dodge Ball.  It tickles me so much but there is no chance ever that someone will put it on a list of great movies.  Sometimes I also need Talladega Nights—for heaven’s sake, Will Farrell chews the scenery worse than a bored Labrador Retriever but I can’t  stop laughing.  There’s also The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension, Miss Congeniality, Shanghai Noon, Wedding Crashers, Lethal Weapon (because sometimes I like watching stuff blow up) and The Last Boy Scout (for the same reason, plus even after all these years I still have a soft spot for Bruce Willis).

‘Fess up here, folks.  Stand up straight and tall and join me with your own  list—don’t be ashamed to admit you’ll watch Bring it On anytime you find it while flipping channels—I’m not.

Lesley B February 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Great Movie I Will Never Watch Again – Grave of the Fireflies. Although it’s animation, this is one of the saddest films ever and I couldn’t bear to see it again.

Movies I will always watch – any James Bond (except Moonraker), Groundhog Day.

Jimmy L February 8, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I love watching depressing movies, I can watch them all day, but some are even too depressing for me, here are a few: “Nobody Knows”, “Dancer in the Dark”, “Lilja 4-Ever”, and “Umberto D.”

Lynne C February 8, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I’ll watch any Bourne movie every time it’s on tv, and sometimes I’ll play my own DVD. Also, Shawshank Redemption – “Are you really that obtuse?” is part of my family’s lexicon. But those are good movies. On “the other” list? Does My Cousin Vinny count?

Davis M February 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Yeah-I’m a sucker for Harry and Sally too-also just about any Fred and Ginger and for some reason “Baby Boom”(maybe it’s Sam Shephard as a cool country vet).

Jnai W February 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

(Arguably)Great Movie I’ll Never Watch Again: I’d like to submit “Dogville”, the Lars Von Trier film starring Nicole Kidman. Now I know that watching this film is not the same thing as being stabbed…but it’s the closest I’ve ever come. Don’t believe me? Check it out. It’ll make you hurt. (thanks for taking me to this place again, Patricia:<)

Alison W. February 8, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Great movie I have seen a million times, but always turn off before it ends–Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Guilty pleasure movie, that I think I even own on DVD–The Cutting Edge.

Nancy M February 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I love any high school movie- Mean Girls, Can’t Hardly Wait,and of course all the old John Hughes movies. And yes, I especially love Bring it On!

Veronica W February 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Lynne, I’m with you. Matt Damon in any Bourne always draws me. I confess that Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee is on that list too. I am redeemed,however, from the “love those kick ’ems” list by my love for Sleepless in Seattle. Oh, did I mention that the best western in the history of film making is Broken Trails, with Robert Duvall? Why oh why did you get me started?