Jul 14 2010

I scream. You scream.

by Dea Anne M

Lately, I find myself having thoughts like “Whoever invented air conditioning should have received a prize.” (something on the order of a Nobel is what comes to mind). I also ask myself the idle question “How did people cool off before air conditioning?” knowing full well that most of the world’s population gets along without what many of us consider an utter necessity. Of course, what we eat and drink can go a long way toward making us feel more comfortable in sweltering weather. Much of the planet’s citizens know that hot peppers, due to their sweat inducing properties, can help conquer the heat. Many of us would put in a vote for a frosty bottle of beer. Of course, a lot of us hard-core Southerners will vow that nothing beats a tall glass of iced tea.

For me though, the supreme heat soother is ice cream.  What’s my favorite flavor? All of them! I maintain a fond nostalgia for the garish purple color and Nehi flavor of the grape ice cream that I always ordered at the ice cream parlor of my Orlando childhood. I remember too a more recent ice cream experience. The flavor was basil (unusual but delicious) and it followed a bouillabaisse that featured a tiny squid tentacle sticking up out of the bowl (unusual and not delicious).  But the ice creams I enjoy the most are the ones that I make at home.  Making ice cream is a straight forward procedure and most ice cream makers come with instructions plus simple recipes. To help with your more ambitious, and delicious, ice cream projects DCPL has some great resources.

For making ice cream, check out these titles.

The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks and More by Bruce Weinstein

The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas,  and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz

Do you like a little history with your ice cream?

A Month of Sundaes by Michael Turback

…and remember…kids love ice cream too.

Ice Cream Larry by Daniel Pinkwater

Give it a try! So what’s my favorite flavor today? It would have to be Brown Sugar Peaches and Cream.  I made a batch this weekend. It was delicious…if I do say so myself.

Maybe next time I’ll invite you over.

Ardene July 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Count me in!

My favorite flavor is my mom’s homemade vanilla.

Brenda July 14, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I’m with you, whatever I made last. Although I am more partial to sorbets than ice cream. Current flavors in my freezer are mango and raspberry.

Nancy M July 14, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Yes please! I’d be happy to sample your ice cream, Dea Anne. Currently my favorite flavor comes from an ice cream shop in East Atlanta that sells salted caramel ice cream. I am addicted.

BeachBunny July 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Great summer post, Dea Anne. Reminded me of my Aunt Julia making chocolate ice cream on Sunday afternoons. I am not as industrious; but as I travel I sample local ice cream. Here are some tasty ones, Stucchi’s in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Tillamook in Oregon, Applegate Farms in Montclair, NJ and Kamm’s Custard in Asheville, NC.
So far Stucchi’s comes in first in the “chocolate ice cream most like Aunt Julia’s.”

Alison W July 16, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I once had some Thai Basil ice cream at a restaurant in New York City and it was out of this world delicious. I tried to re-create it at home, but got a little carried away and added way too much basil…maybe I’ll dust off my ice cream maker this weekend…

Veronica W July 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Adam Gertler, on the Food Network, visited the Creole Creamery in New Orleans. I was fascinated by some of their ice cream flavors, including roasted beet, sweet corn with black pepper & raspberry coulis and avocado w/mint & sour cream. I checked out their website and they have hundreds of flavors. Just reading the list was great fun.

Anonymous July 17, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Thanks everyone. What great flavors there are out there! Nancy, I want some of that caramel ice cream right now. Veronice, thanks for the tip on the website. I just now found out that tomorrow is National Ice Cream Day! Apparently, in 1984 Ronald Reagan designated it as the 3rd Sunday in July and he also named July itself as National Ice Cream month.