Mar 2 2012

The Zombies are coming!

by Amanda L

Did you know that there is a 5K obstacle course that is coming to Georgia? Instead of running against time you are running to avoid the zombies.  The Run for your Lives event is this weekend in Union Point, Georgia where the zombies will be chasing the participants. This event has been traveling the United States.

Want to know more about Zombies? Check out a Zombie’s history of the United States: from massacre at Plymoth Rock to the CIA’s secret war on the undead by Worm Miller. You might also be interested in Tracking the man-beasts: Sasquatch, vampires, zombies and more by Joe Nickell. Trying to avoid those zombies? You might try, The Zombie handbook by Robert Curran

Zombies have been hot over the last few years in the fiction arena. Here are a few titles you might want to explore if you like zombies:

Zombie, Ohio: a tale of the undead by Scott Kenemore

No one is safe in a zombie apocalypse… not even a zombie. With society decomposing before his eyes, and violence escalating into daily life, Peter, a rural Ohio college professor, finds his old friends are loath to associate with him. When he finds out that the automobile wreck that killed him wasn’t an accident, Peter resolves to solve his own murder.

The New Dead: a zombie anthology

RESURRECTION! The hungry dead have risen. They shamble down the street. They hide in back yards, car lots, shopping malls. They devour neighbors, dogs and police officers. And they are here to stay. The real question is, what are you going to do about it? How will you survive? HOW WILL THE WORLD CHANGE WHEN THE DEAD BEGIN TO RISE? Stoker-award-winning author Christopher Golden has assembled an original anthology of never-before-published zombie stories from an eclectic array of today’s hottest writers.

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

In a post-apocalyptic world where fences and border patrols guard the few people left from the zombies that have overtaken civilization, fifteen-year-old Benny Imura is finally convinced that he must follow in his older brother’s footsteps and become a bounty hunter.

Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory

After a zombie attack, Wanda Mayhall rescues a near-dead infant on the side of a frozen Iowa highway and decides to raise him without telling the authorities, but as the boy gets older he realizes that there are other living dead in the world like him.

This is just a sampling. If you like zombie literature, what would you recommend that you have checked out at the library?

Joseph M March 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I really liked World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

Jesse M March 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Great post! I’ll second the recommendation of World War Z, it’s easily the best zombie related book I’ve ever read.

Jonathan Maberry March 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Good list of zombie books!

If you’re a fan of the Rot & Ruin series, here are links to some free bonus scenes: http://bdl-teenzone.blogspot.com/2012/03/rot-ruin-and-benny-imura-books.html?spref=tw

Alison W March 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I saw a YouTube clip a participant posted yesterday, it was hilarious…it looked like so much fun. Maybe I’ll start training for next year.

Leigh P. March 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

World War Z is definitely the quintessential zombie novel on every level. I recently read Raising Stony Mayhall and thought it was incredible. It’s the one “spin” on the zombie genre that works.

For a more literary take on zombies, I recommend Colson Whitehead’s Zone One. (I recommend Colson Whitehead, anyway). It’s well-written, intense during the zombie scenes, and an insightful metaphor on humanity and what we’ve done to remedy tragedy in history.

A good YA series for zombie-lovers is Carrie Ryan’s Forest of Hands and Teeth books. You’ll have to put up with a lot of teenage angst but it’s worth it for the intensity. At least the zombies don’t sparkle. It also offers a plausible reason why some zombies move fast and others slow. Brings up a great point about immunity, too.

Sondra March 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM

“At least the zombies don’t sparkle” – I love it!

I’ve been enjoying how the current season of the television series The Walking Dead is putting more emphasis on what I think is the scariest theme from the graphic novels The Walking Dead – the idea that the surviving humans are more dangerous than the zombies.

Leigh P. March 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Sondra, I completely agree about The Walking Dead; man’s inhumanity to man in the face of tragedy is frightening. Robert Kirkman captures that so well. I liked how the first season of the show kept to the graphic novel so well. The subject of zombies is more cerebral than we give it credit for and I’m excited to see the subject being explored more and more in books and film. I fell in love with zombies as a child of seven and have stayed true to them since. My husband and I even named our oldest daughter after a zombie!