Oct 2 2013

Movies worth watching

by Joseph M

I’ll admit that I’m not really a “movie person”. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching movies on occasion, but truth be told I rarely make the time for them. However, there are a few filmmakers who have consistently impressed me as a viewer and left me wanting more. Wes Anderson is one such individual. As a director, screenwriter, and producer, Mr. Anderson has been involved in some excellent films, many of which are available at DCPL. These include:

I am especially fond of those last three films.

Who are some of your favorite filmmakers?

Dea Anne M October 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I very much like Joss Whedon’s films as well as the television he’s been responsible for. I also really love and admire a lot of the work of the Coen brother particularly O’ Brother Where Art Thou?, Fargo, and The Big Lebowski (which I know a lot of people hated but…what can I say?)

Jesse M October 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

One of my favorite writers and directors is Guy Ritchie. He specializes in fast paced and complex plots, with multiple characters and storylines that intersect in unexpected ways. His movies often focus on the British criminal underworld. My personal favorites by him are Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, both of which he wrote and directed. He is also responsible for directing the two new Sherlock Holmes films featuring Robert Downey Jr.

Greg October 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

There were people who HATED the Big Lebowski? That’s very un-dude of them.

John S. October 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I enjoy movies by John Sayles. He wrote and directed The Secret of Roan Inish, The Brother from Another Planet and Honeydripper, to name just three of his films. I am with Jesse in liking Guy Ritchie a lot, too.

Hope L October 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Well, my favorite directors tend to be of old movies, which probably means I am … old! I love most everything done by Alfred Hitchcock but especially Rear Window and The Lodger; I like a lot of Martin Scorsese films but especially Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas and Cape Fear; Sidney Lumet’s 12 Angry Men and Network; and Woody Allen’s earlier stuff like Sleeper, Take the Money and Run, Annie Hall and Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Joseph M October 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Thanks for the comments, folks! I will refer back to this comment thread next time I’m in the mood for a movie and don’t know what to pick.

And just for the record, I’m also fan of The Big Lebowski.